90 years young
Stewart’s Menswear, Mullumbimby, celebrated it’s 90th year in 2019.
Back in 1923 an enterprising local developer, Alf Barrett, built two shops in Burringbar Street Mullumbimby. He swapped those shops for a farm in Nimbin.
Norman Stewart first opened his Men’s Mercer business, Stewart & Northeast, in one of those shops and went on to marry Alf’s daughter Audrey.
Audrey and her mother saw Mullumbimby’s potential so they bought the stores back in 1929 and thus Stewart’s Mercery was born with Norman Stewart opening his own business at that time.
Billiards and Barbers
Stewart’s Mercery had a billiards parlour in the back and a barber shop as well.
The owner of the billiards room purchased the business from Norman Stewart in 1937 however he joined the services during WWII and once again Norman Stewart became the owner.
Norman and Audrey’s only son, Tom took over the business with his wife Jean in 1955. Interestingly Jean was the daughter of F.I. Ward who owned the Emporium next door.
The freehold for the property was given to Tom in 1968. The two shops were turned into one and then in 1980 they modernised the name to Stewart’s Menswear and their son, Bill Stewart took over the family business.
Current owners, Gerard & Sue Walker, bought the business from Bill in 2004. Gerard had worked for the Stewart family for 25 years at this time and knew both the business and customers well.
New owners continue tradition
Both Gerard and Sue were born and raised in Mullumbimby and love their community. For them, it is a privilege to continue the tradition of local family ownership and to provide the same friendly, personal service the locals have come to know and appreciate.
As a Community service, we provide window space to the Mullumbimby Museum. The display is changed regularly by Museum volunteers. The window gives the Mullumbimby Museum a presence in our main street, reminding both locals and visitors of what a great place the Museum is to visit.
Click here to find out more.