SUMMER is a fabulous time of year where we go out to BBQ, picnic, walk, entertain friends and family, and generally enjoy the outdoors more than we do in the cooler months. The days are longer, the nights are warmer, and there's a "spring" in our steps (yes, pun intended!). As soon as SPRING arrives, moods lift, and we start thinking about putting away our wintery layers, and getting our summer wardrobes out.
Each season, it's great to REFRESH your wardrobe, not necessarily because we care about what's "trendy" but because it feels great to update your summer wardrobe, bring in some new pieces that will work for a multitude of occasions. Garments that you've actually chosen for a purpose, rather than bought because they were on sale, or because you urgently needed something and bought what was available.
Here at Stewart’s Menswear in Mullumbimby, the biggest little town in Australia, our summers are super warm, and so clothing made from breathable fabrics are summer must haves. Being in a subtropical climate, we have a lot of rain and humidity to contend with, so choosing our clothes for the climate is paramount. Wherever you are in Australia, choosing clothes that suit your climate is crucial to your comfort and the longevity of your clothing.
Did you know, that all fashion retailers begin planning for what we will buy for the following Summer, at the end of the Summer before, We're always a full year ahead in our planning cycle, which is challenging and also fun!
We get the opportunity to view the latest offerings from our suppliers and
distributors, and they can present their clothing ranges to us in a variety of different ways: On-line, by catalogue or in person. We still like the in-person visits, where a sales representative brings a selection to us in-store. It's so personal, fun and we really enjoy the interaction. This way of doing business is becoming less and less frequent, but we'll enjoy it as long as it lasts!
When viewing the ranges, we need a plan and an idea of what we have seen and may be about to see so that we can choose garments from a variety of sources that can be mixed and matched together.
The most efficient way of doing this is by attending the Frontline Stores buying event in Melbourne at the end of each season where many of our suppliers are located under one roof at the Convention Centre. Due to the pandemic, we were not able to do this for a period of 3 years making it somewhat challenging to put things together in a cohesive manner. It was wonderful to return the vibrant city of Melbourne last month to view the Winter ranges even though the event was in a smaller format in suburban Melbourne. Our Summer ranges which we ordered in February are arriving in store daily at present. We are confident that we’ve had co-ordinated the different brands well and are proud of what we are able to present to you for this coming Summer season.
Similarly, when thinking about putting together your own summer wardrobe, it’s important to have a plan and think about the places and events you may possibly visit over the summer period. Will you be going to or hosting BBQ's, outdoor concerts, summer weddings or big events, because knowing in advance what you'll be doing will help you to avoid buying unnecessary items which may only be worn once and then pushed to the back of your wardrobe.
There are some items of clothing which are timeless and, if you choose the right pieces, will last you many seasons. These summer must haves should be in every man's closet. Who doesn’t want to save money and help the environment at the same time?
- You will need at least one collared shirt which can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. A polo shirt is perfect and can be styled in so many different ways. You can find out more by reading our blog, How to style a polo shirt for any occasion. In our warmer climates, you may like to choose a button through bamboo/cotton blend shirt. These are loose fitting and made from luxurious fabric making them comfortable and cool to wear in Summer. Just like a polo, they can be worn casually to a BBQ, for drinks and even out to dinner.
- A pair of chino shorts or denim shorts is a summer must have as these can be worn with or without a belt and with shirts tucked in or out for different looks.
- Plain coloured or printed 100% cotton T-shirts are perfect to pair with either type of shorts or with a more casual pair of elastic waist shorts for weekend wear.
- Swimwear is necessary in our humid climate, a pair of plain boardshorts will last you many seasons and can be teamed with the t-shirts you already have. Boardshorts can be worn in the water, during a game of beach volleyball, and then see you through dinner at the pub - they're surely the most versatile clothing item a man can own in summer!
- Depending on your budget, a pair of canvas skate shoes or the classic Dunlop volleys are both versatile and can be worn with your shorts for any occasion. Add a pair of thongs or leather slides for picnics or a trip to the beach and you’re set!
TOP TIP: When you’re in the outdoors always remember to slip, slop, slap, seek and slide to protect yourself from the sun’s harmful rays.
If you enjoyed this blog, we would love it if you followed us on Facebook. We take time to curate our posts and are mindful to share relevant and useful tips that will help you.
You may like to sign up for our monthly newsletter here. We will only email when we have something important to share or if we want you to be the first to know that something new or exciting is coming up.